Tuesday 8 May 2007

The Seagull -Anton Chekhov

This is the section of play we have chosen to work with in the lesson on Stanislavski -

The Seagull - Anton Chekhov
Penguin Classics Page 178

TREPLIOV. Nina ! Nina ! It's you .... you.... I seem to have had a presentiment, my heart's been aching terribly all day ... ( takes off her cape and hat.) Oh, my sweet, my precious girl, she's come at last! Don't let us cry, don't !

NINA. There's someone here.

TREPLIOV. There isn't anyone.

NINA. Please lock the doors, or someone will come in.

TREPLIOV. No one will come in.

NINA. I know Irena Nikolayevna is here. Lock the doors.

TREPLIOV. (locks the door on right, then crosses to the left.) There's no lock on this one. I'll put a chair against it. (puts armchair against the door) Don't be afraid, no one will come in.

NINA. (looks intently at his face). Let me look at you for a little while. (looking round.) How warm , how nice it is here!.... This used to be a drawing-room. Have I changed a lot?

TREPLIOV. Yes... You are thinner and your eyes have grown bigger. Nina, it's so strange to be seeing you! Why wouldn't you let me see you? Why haven't you come here before now? I know you've been in the town almost a week.. I've been to your place everyday, several times a day: I stood under your window like a beggar.

NINA. I was afraid that you might hate me. Every night I dream that you look at me and don't recognize me. If only you knew... beside the lake. I've been near this house many times, but I dared not come in. Let us sit down.
(They sit down.)


Dominique

No comments: